If you don’t take risks, you can’t create a futureMonkey D. Luffy
Have you ever wanted to start watching One Piece and wondered how the heck do I do it and in which order? Master is your go-to guy, and today is delivering you a complete: “How to watch One Piece in order” guide.
TL; DR: Comprehensive guide to watching One Piece in order. Movies, OVAs, shorts, specials and fillers included!
Before we jump and embark on this daunting journey, let me introduce you to One Piece (in case you lived under the rock all these years!)
“Gol D. Roger was known as the “Pirate King,” the strongest and most infamous being to have sailed the Grand Line. The capture and execution of Roger by the World Government brought a change throughout the world. His last words before his death revealed the existence of the greatest treasure in the world, One Piece. It was this revelation that brought about the Grand Age of Pirates, men who dreamed of finding One Piece—which promises an unlimited amount of riches and fame—and quite possibly the pinnacle of glory and the title of the Pirate King.
Enter Monkey D. Luffy, a 17-year-old boy who defies your standard definition of a pirate. Rather than the popular persona of a wicked, hardened, toothless pirate ransacking villages for fun, Luffy’s reason for being a pirate is one of pure wonder: the thought of an exciting adventure that leads him to intriguing people and ultimately, the promised treasure. Following in the footsteps of his childhood hero, Luffy and his crew travel across the Grand Line, experiencing crazy adventures, unveiling dark mysteries, and battling strong enemies, all in order to reach the most coveted of all fortunes—One Piece.”
Table of Content:
- Release Order
- Chronological Order
- Where to watch?
1. TV Series:
- Season 1 (1999)
- Season 2 (2001)
- Season 3 (2001)
- Season 4 (2001)
- Season 5 (2002)
- Season 6 (2003)
- Season 7 (2004)
- Season 8 (2005)
- Season 9 (2006)
- Season 10 (2008)
- Season 11 (2009)
- Season 12 (2009)
- Season 13 (2009)
- Season 14 (2010)
- Season 15 (2011)
- Season 16 (2013)
- Season 17 (2014)
- Season 18 (2016)
- Season 19 (2017)
- Season 20 (2019)
*Note*: Although One Piece is not a seasonal anime, some streaming companies like to divide it like this.
- One Piece: The Movie (2000)- Optional/ I would skip it
-“In this adventure, the crew explored the legend of the Great Gold Pirate Woonan years after his disappearance after being robbed by a crew led by Captain El Drago, who is in search of Woonan’s treasure.”
- Clockwork Island Adventure (2001)- Watch
-“The second film in the franchise, Clockwork Island Adventure, launched a year later in 2001. The crew are robbed once again and tasked with taking on a rival crew on Clockwork Island to get their belongings back.”
- Chopper’s Kingdom on the Island of Strange Animals (2002)- Skip
-“After the crew’s ship is thrown by a geyser, Chopper is separated from the crew and winds up on an island inhabited by strange creatures, and thanks to perfect timing they believe he is their king.”
- Dead End Adventure (2003)- Watch
-“Desperate for money once again, after attempting to finesse information from their host, the Straw Hat crew wind up in an impromptu competition facing off against many other pirate crews.”
- The Cursed Holy Sword (2004)- Skip
-If Zoro is your favorite member of the Straw Hat crew, then this film is the one for you.
- Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island (2005)- Must Watch
-“After accepting an invitation to an island resort, the Straw Hat crew is challenged with taking part in the “Trials of Hell”. What starts off as a simple task quickly evolves into much more during this film.”
- Giant Mecha Soldier of Karakuri Castle (2006)- Skip
-“After locating a new island, Mecha island, the crew helps out a fisherman in locating its treasures, however, it turns out there are more sinister intentions at play.”
- The Desert Princess and the Pirates: Adventures in Alabasta (2007)- Optional/I would skip it
-“The Straw Hat crew travels to Alabasta ,where the country’s hero, Sir Crocodile, has used his criminal ties to the Baroque Works organization to seize the thrown and country treasures for himself. This film is a retelling of the Alabasta Arc from the anime series.”
- Episode of Chopper Plus: Bloom in the Winter, Miracle Cherry Blossom (2008)– Skip
-If you’re a manga reader, then the story of this film will be familiar as it is a close retelling of the Drum Island storyline. This story focuses on Chopper and features some other fan-favorite characters in its theatrical retelling.
- One Piece Film: Strong World (2009) – Watch
-“The crew return to East Blue to deal with the threat of the fabled devil fruit user Golden Lion Shiki upon his flying ship.”
- Straw Hat Chase (2011)- Skip
-“In classic Luffy style, the crew is launched into a surprise adventure after searching for Luffy’s lost hat.” The film is the first and only entry in the franchise to be released in a 3D CGI style.
- One Piece Film: Z (2012) – Optional
-“This film is set after the series had its two-year time skip and revolves around an ex-admiral of the marines, Zephyr, and his plan to flood the world with lava using the Dyna Stones. This film has plenty of other impressive weaponry and twists along the way.”
- One Piece Film: Gold (2016)- Watch
-“Gold is a follow-up to the TV special, One Piece: Heart of Gold and showcases the Straw Hat crew arriving at the Gran Tesoro entertainment city to be greeted with special privileges thanks to their notoriety. With the crew’s history of financial problems, it’s pretty clear how heading to a gambling city may cause problems.”
- One Piece: Stampede (2019)-Skip
-“The most recent addition to the One Piece film series, Stampede launched on August 9, 2019, and commemorates the anime’s 20th anniversary. The film takes place during the Pirates Festival where crews from all over the world have come together to hunt for the long-lost treasure of Gold Roger.”
- Defeat Him! The Pirate Ganzack! (1998) Skip
- Romance Dawn Story (2008) Skip
- Strong World: Episode 0 (2009) Watch(after the movie)
- Glorious Island Part 1 (2012) Optional/I would skip it
- Glorious Island Part 2 (2012) Optional/I would skip it
- One Piece Film: Gold Episode 0 (2016) Optional/ I would skip it
- ROMANCE DAWN (2019) Optiona/ I would watch it
- Jango’s Dance Carnival (2001) Skip
- Dream Soccer King (2002) Skip
- Take Aim! The Pirate Baseball King (2004) Skip
- ONE PIECE 3D! Trap Coaster (2011) Skip
- One Piece TV Special: Adventure in the Ocean’s Navel (2000) Watch
- One Piece: Open Upon the Great Sea! A Father’s Huge, HUGE Dream (2003) Watch
- One Piece: Protect! The Last Great Stage (2003) Watch
- One Piece: End-of-Year Special Plan! Chief Straw Hat Luffy’s Detective Story (2005) Skip
- Boss Luffy Historical Specials: Episodes 291-292, 303, 406-407 Skip
- Episode of Nami: Tears of a Navigator and the Bonds of Friends (2012) Skip
- Episode of Luffy: Adventure on Hand Island (2012) Optional/ I would watch it
- Episode of Merry: The Tale of One More Friend (2013) Skip
- One Piece 3D2Y: Overcoming Ace’s Death! Luffy’s Pledge to His Friends! (2014) MUST WATCH
- Episode of Sabo: The Three Brothers’ Bond (2015) Optional/ I would skip it
- One Piece: Adventure of Nebulandia (2015) Skip
- One Piece: Heart of Gold (2016) Watch
- One Piece: Episode of East Blue: Luffy and His 4 Crewmates’ Big Adventure (2017) Watch
- One Piece: Episode of Sky Island (2018) Optional/ I would watch it
2. Chronological Order
- Romance Dawn Arc: Episodes 1-3
- Orange Town Arc: Episodes 4-8
- Defeat Him! The Pirate Ganzack!
- Syrup Village Arc: Episodes 9-18
- One Piece: The Movie
- Baratie Arc: Episodes 19-30
- Arlong Park Arc: Episodes 31-44
- Loguetown Arc: Episodes 45
- Buggy’s Crew Adventure Chronicles: Episodes 46-47
- Loguetown Arc Cont. : Episodes 48-53
- Clockwork Island Adventure
- One Piece TV Special: Adventure in the Ocean’s Navel
- Jango’s Dance Carnival
- Warship Island Arc: Episodes 54-61
- One Piece: Episode of East Blue: Luffy and His 4 Crewmates’ Big Adventure
- Reverse Mountain Arc: Episodes 62-63
- Whisky Peak Arc: Episodes 64-67
- Diary of Koby-Meppo: Episodes 68-69
- Little Garden Arc: Episodes 70-77
- Drum Island Arc: Episodes 78-91
- Dream Soccer King
- Arabasta Arc: Episodes 92-130
- The Desert Princess and the Pirates: Adventures in Alabasta
- Chopper’s Kingdom on the Island of Strange Animals
- Post-Arabasta Arc: 131-135
- Goat Island Arc: Episodes 136-138
- Dead End Adventure
- The Cursed Holy Sword
- One Piece: Open Upon the Great Sea! A Father’s Huge, HUGE Dream
- Take Aim! The Pirate Baseball King
- Ruluka Island Arc: Episodes 139-143
- Jaya Arc: Episodes 144-152
- Skypiea Arc: Episodes 153-195
- One Piece: Episode of Sky Island
- G-8 Arc: Episodes 196-206
- Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island
- Long Ring Long Land Arc: Episodes 207-219
- One Piece: Protect! The Last Great Stage
- Oceans Dream Arc: Episodes 220-224
- Foxys Return Arc: Episodes 225-228
- Giant Mecha Soldier of Karakuri Castle
- Water 7 Arc: Episodes 229-263
- Enies Lobby Arc: Episodes 264-290, 293-302, 304-312
- Boss Luffy Historical Specials: Episodes 291-292, 303, 406-407
- Post-Enies Lobby Arc: Episodes 313-325
- Episode of Chopper Plus: Bloom in the Winter, Miracle Cherry Blossom
- Ice Hunter Arc: Episodes 326-335
- Chopper Man Special: Episode 336
- Thriller Bark Arc: Episodes 337-381
- Strong World Episode 0
- One Piece Film: Strong World
- Spa Island Arc: Episodes 382-384
- Little East Blue Arc: Episodes 426-429
- Straw Hat Chase
- ONE PIECE 3D! Trap Coaster
- Romance Dawn Story
- Sabaody Archipelago Arc: Episodes 385-405
- Amazon Lily Arc: Episodes 408-417
- Straw Hats Separation Serial Arc: Episodes 418-421
- Impel Down Arc: Episodes 422-425
- Impel Down Arc Cont. : Episodes 430-452
- Straw Hats Separation Serial Arc Cont. : Episodes 453-456
- Marineford Arc: Episodes 457-489
- Post-War Arc: Episodes 490-491
- Toriko Crossover: Episode 492
- Post-War Arc Cont. : Episodes 493-516
- Return to Sabaody Arc: Episodes 517-522
- Episode of Nami: Tears of a Navigator and the Bonds of Friends
- Fish-Man Island Arc: Episodes 523-541
- Toriko Crossover: Episode 542
- Fish-Man Island Arc Cont. : Episodes 543-574
- Zs Ambition Arc: Episodes 575-578
- Glorious Island Part 1
- Glorious Island Part 2
- One Piece Film: Z
- Episode of Luffy: Adventure on Hand Island
- One Piece: Adventure of Nebulandia
- Punk Hazard Arc: Episodes 579-589
- Toriko & Dragon Ball Crossover: Episode 590
- Punk Hazard Arc Cont. : Episodes 591-625
- Episode of Merry: The Tale of One More Friend
- Caesar Retrieval Arc: Episodes 626-628
- Dressrosa Arc: Episodes 629-746
- Episode of Sabo: The Three Brothers’ Bond – The Miraculous Reunion and the Inherited Will
- Silver Mine Arc: Episodes 747-750
- One Piece: Heart of Gold
- One Piece Film: Gold Episode 0
- One Piece Film: Gold
- Zou Arc: Episodes 751-779
- Marine Rookie Arc: Episodes 780-782
- Whole Cake Island Arc: Episodes 783-877
- Levely Arc: Episodes 878-889
- Wano Country Arc – Act 1 (890-916)
- Wano Country Arc – Act 2 (917-958)
- Anime 20th Anniversary special: Episode 907
- Cidre Guild Arc: Episodes 895-896
- One Piece: Stampede
- Wano Country Arc – Act 3 (Oden Kozuki Past) (896 onwards,ongoing)
So, let’s immediately tackle this problem! Should you watch One Piece’s fillers?
My answer is- SOME. Fillers are generally stand-alone stories that can be skipped without losing anything of importance to the main story. Despite the aforementioned being true, you don’t want to fly over some of them. Not necessarily because you will miss something relevant to the story, but because One Piece has one of the best fillers in the anime industry. Without further ado, let’s dive into this section of this Ultimate Guide to watching One Piece.
- Episodes 46-47 – Buggy’s Crew Adventure Chronicles (Mixed Cannon/Filler)- Skip
-Generally, nothing important happens here, just some comedic relief from the show.
- Episode 50- Mainly developing Usopp’s character. Skip
- Episode 51- Mostly Sanji’s dream- Skip
- Episodes 54-61 – Warship Island / Apis Arc– Optional/I would skip it.
-This is the first filler arc of One Piece, but nothing relevant happens. It was not bad, but not worth wasting your time on it. The only thing to get out of this filler arc is how the seas are connected & how the ‘Calm Belts’ work.
- Episodes 98-99- Watch
-People of Arabasta and their life, explain the main story better.
- Episode 101- Another comedic relief- Skip
- Episode 102- Skip
- Episodes 131-143- (3 filler arcs, very bad, low quality)- Skip
- Episodes 196-206 – G-8 Arc– Optional/I would skip it
-Transition to the next arc.
- Episodes 220-226 – Ocean’s Dream & Foxy’s Return– Skip
- Episodes 279-283 – These are just recaps of the Straw Hats’ backstories.- Skip
- Episodes 291-292 – Boss Luffy Historical Special– Skip
-Another comic relief, nothing worth mentioning happens.
- Episodes 303 – Boss Luffy Historical Special (Continuation)– Skip
- Episodes 317-319 – Post-Enies Lobby Arc – Optional/ I would watch them
-Honestly, nothing happens, but nevertheless, these are great 3 episodes to spend your time on.
- Episodes 326-336 – Ice Hunter Arc & Chopper Man Special (336)– Skip
- Episodes 382-384 – Spa Island –Skip
-Another comic relief.
- Episodes 406-407 – Boss Luffy Historical Special (Continuation)– Skip
- Episodes 426-429 – Little East Blue– Skip
– Filler arc that leads people into watching One Piece Movie 10: Strong World. You can watch the film without watching this filler arc as the connection between them is pretty small.
- Episodes 457-458 – Recaps- Skip
- Episode 492 – Toriko Crossover– Skip
- Episode 542 –Toriko Crossover– Skip
- Episodes 574( MIxed Cannon/Filler)- Optional/I would watch it
-Nothing happens, just trip up to the sea, but I still enjoyed it!
- Episodes 575-578 – Z’s Ambition– Skip
-Leading you into One Piece Film: Z
- Episode 590 – Toriko & Dragon Ball Z Crossover– Skip
- Episodes 626-628 – Caesar Retrieval– Skip
- Episodes 747-750 – Silver Mine – Skip
-This filler arc leads into One Piece Special: Heart of Gold & One Piece Film: Gold, but I don’t recommend watching the filler arc as its low quality.
- Episode 775 – Save Zunisha– Optional/ I would watch it
- Episodes 780-782 – Marine Rookie– Skip
- Episode 807- Optional/ I would watch it
-Depending on how much you remember from previous episodes. This is recap full of flashbacks about previous happenings.
- Episode 881 – Watch
-I found the beginning interesting. Watch until 8:25 then skip the episode.
- Episodes 895-896 – Cidre Guild– Skip
-Leading into One Piece Movie 14: Stampede.
- Episode 907 – One Piece: Romance Dawn – Skip
- Episode 985 (Mixed Cannon/Filler)- Watch
At this point, you caught up with the Current Wano Arc. Congratulations, you have done it!
4.Where to watch One Piece?
Possibly the greatest anime of all time and currently the longest airing anime in history, One Piece is a long, but rewarding experience.
Thus I made this guide to make your starting steps a bit easier.
If you are a first-time viewer, I highly recommend watching it chronologically(starting with episode 1).
The latest episode, episode 989: “The Pact Between Men! The Fierce Fighting of Brachio Tank!” is part of the Wano arc, which is going to last until the end of this year at least!
*Note*: The specials, OVAs, and shorts can be watched at any time because they don’t follow the storyline of the main anime and hence spoil nothing.
*Note 2*: In order to complete and watch all of the installments, one would need over 370 hours. Enjoy!
*Note 3*: This guide will be updated regularly, so refer to it anytime.
Did you already watch some or all of One Piece anime? How did you like it? Feel free to share your thoughts with me!
Fore more great anime reviews and guides, click here